Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Germany Part 6: Hot Chocolate

I know what you're thinking. Does hot chocolate really deserve its own post? Yes. Yes it does. You see, there's something so wonderful about European hot chocolate. It cannot merely be shuffled into a category with every other beverage I drank while abroad.

I originally fell in love with real hot chocolate last summer on a trip to Paris. We were told to go to a place called Angelina's. Ever since I tasted Angelina's hot chocolate, I have been a self proclaimed "hot-chocolate snob." I can't help it. Angelina's was so chocolatey and thick and wonderful. Once I realized how heavenly hot chocolate could be, I refused to settle for anything less.

Unfortunately, most hot chocolate in the States is just not good. It's either too milky or too bland, which means that my winter beverage of choice is usually water. Yum. Nothing like a glass of water to warm you up on a snowy day.

It's sad, really. And if I could bring European hot chocolate to the U.S., I most certainly would. But since I don't plan on opening a European hot chocolate shop any time in the near future, I take full advantage of every opportunity to drink this beloved beverage while I'm abroad. I guess it sort of evens out. Sort of...

During an unexpected layover in Amsterdam, I had my first chance of the trip to enjoy true European hot chocolate. We were at a place called Cafe Chocolate. Appropriate name, right?


The hot chocolate came in the form of a chocolate spoon. Allow me to explain. You choose your flavor from a list by the register. Then, they steam the milk in one of those fancy steamer things, take a spoon with a big chunk of chocolate out of a little clear bag and plunk it into the steaming milk. At this point, the chocolate chunk melts into the steamy milk and...viola! 

Mmmm......

It was like seeing an old friend after a long separation. And it was only just the beginning! 

At the hotel in Berlin, there was a fancy coffee and hot chocolate machine. While most of the other guests found it rather frustrating, I actually really enjoyed pressing the little button for 'hot chocolate' and watching the hot milk and liquid chocolate mix together in the mug before my eyes. 


Granted, hot chocolate from a machine is not the best. But it was the whole experience that made it worth it.

The next day, our stop in Dresden meant more hot chocolate! This time it came in an adorable little mug and was topped with actual chocolate shavings. 


You can just tell that this is going to be good. Look at the way that whipped cream is nestled into the frothy milk. This one even came with it's own sugar packet to adjust the sweetness, if necessary. It was just so cute. Why do they not make hot chocolate this appealing and delicious at home?

A stop in Nuremberg also meant a stop for hot chocolate! (Of course.)


I think the milk froth must make all of the hot chocolates look so much more fancy. I mean, look at it. It's so warm and inviting- I almost wanna jump right in!!

As the trip wound down, it became almost a routine to order hot chocolate with every meal. My days were numbered. I only had so long to enjoy my favorite beverage in it's truest form. So you can bet that lunch after our visit to the Neuschwanstein castle involved hot chocolate.


We should also note that the whipped cream is perfect in Germany as well. And I think they whip it up fresh. Once, at an ice cream shop, I saw the man behind the counter walk over to a clunky machine, pull a lever, and watch fresh whipped cream form before my eyes! It was so cool! (And I kind of wanted one for home). But anyway, they're not just pulling out the ol' Reddi Whip canister
 and holding down the nozzle. (I mean, some might, but I prefer to think otherwise.)

Finally, on the last morning of the trip, as we waited for our plane at the airport, I had my very final taste of European hot chocolate.


This one may have been one of the best. You can see the enormous amount of froth on top (which I loved!) Beneath that was the warm, chocolatey milk that was in fact so chocolatey that when I put my spoon in the bottom of the glass, I found melted chocolate there. If I remember correctly, I added one of the sugar packets and it was perfection. It was a morning made much sweeter by a tall glass of hot chocolate. But really, what morning wouldn't be good with a mug of chocolatey deliciousness in front of you?

As I looked back through my pictures, I had to laugh. My trip both started and ended with hot chocolate, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment