Monday, July 2, 2012

Scones at Home



I typically write about food that I eat while I'm out and about: restaurant food, if you will. But this morning I have to bend that standard just a little bit so that I can tell you about one of my most favorite breakfast foods ever: Nina's blueberry scones.

Those of you who know my Nina know that she is a fabulous cook. So I could probably write a number of posts about all of the delicious things she makes for us. But these scones are particularly special, and thus, they require their own special post.

Most people have had scones at some point in their lives. When you think of store bought scones, you may think of hard, three-dimensional triangles of dough, peppered with one kind of fruit or another. Sometimes they have a glaze. Sometimes they don't.

But in order to understand Nina's scones, I'll need you to completely erase everything you thought you knew about this breakfast treat. After tasting Nina's scones, I have never truly been able to enjoy another.

You see, there's something special about Nina's scones. Hers are soft and flaky, with a hint of sweetness, and lots of berries (usually the blue variety).



When topped with freshly made whipped cream, they cannot be beat. It always makes me sad to see people throw away their money on sub-par scones, without ever realizing what they're missing. It's like walking around in the dark, really. Once you've had good scones, you'll know.

They're best when they're piping hot!
If you ever happen to be at my house, you might be lucky enough to get a taste of these delectable scones.These are a special treat, which is probably what makes them my favorite breakfast food to eat at home. Blueberries, love, and summer. What more could you want?



Special thanks to Nina for making these this morning! Happy eating, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment