Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cape May- Adventures Around Every Corner

I've been wanting to write this, if only to bump the last post out of the top position on this blog. I honestly don't even want to look at those pictures...not after today!

We began our day again at Coffee Tyme, and this time my cinnamon roll was warm!!! It was so exciting to carry that lovely bun home, still fresh from the oven. It always makes me feel better if I know I'm eating something that was just made! Since it was kind of overcast we didn't get to eat on the beach again, but eating inside was just fine.

We biked around all of Cape May today, riding all the way out to the far side where the houses look like they should be in Pottery Barn magazine, and the yards are exquisite.

After our bike ride, Mom and I went to the Cape May Bakery and bought some baked goods. Honestly, you cannot walk by this bakery without smelling something delicious. They must pump the air vent from the kitchen out over the sidewalk every time they see people pass by, or something. I'm telling you- it lures you in!!

Since the Elephant Ear my aunt bough yesterday was so yummy, Mom and I bought two (one for us and one for her) and a cinnamon walnut stick to try.


I felt very Parisian riding home with my basket full of fresh baked goods. The sweet smell wafted up out of the paper bag as I imagined myself pedaling next to the Seine river. I'm sure my green flowered bike helmet wasn't exactly tres chic, but hey, better safe than sorry.

We arrived home to confront this problem we have with pastries. Once we start eating them we have to take just a little bit more, and a little bit more, and a little bit more, until our little nibbles aren't so little anymore. It's bad...but we can't help it! This is exactly what happened with our Elephant Ear....and walnut cinnamon stick.

See how irresistible this is? 

Unbeknownst to us, my aunt also stopped by the Cape May Bakery and bought two Elephant Ears and a loaf of warm sunflower seed bread. The bread was so awesome. It was warm and flaky, and so delicious, I didn't even need to put butter on it. We laughed about the Elephant Ear coincidence while putting the extras in bags to save for later. So now we have a third of a loaf of bread left over, and lots of Elephant Ears! (Not that this is a bad thing at all! I'm looking forward to munching on them tomorow.)

Although the weather was foreboding at first, the sun came out strong around lunch time. We had a lovely beach day, soaked up the sun, and generally enjoyed ourselves.

When it came time for dinner, we were all ready to try out a place we'd heard about: George's Place. Of all of the restaurants in Cape May, this is one that repeatedly gets rave reviews. And after last night at the Chalfonte, we needed a good dinner. Being the thorough person that I am, I researched the place online. Although they currently don't seem to have a working website, they have a ton of reviews on travel sites. Across the board, people are in love with George's Place. What did we have to lose?

Since they don't take reservations, we walked down at around 5:45, expecting a little bit of a wait since it was dinner time, but we could handle a wait. What we experienced was something completely unexpected. Please, read on.

There was a man in a chef jacket standing in the doorway when we arrived. Mom, unsure of how to enter, peeked around him into the restaurant. When she did so, he put out his arm, blocking her path and asked where she was going.

Mom explained that we had never been here before and weren't sure how to proceed.

He then made a comment about how it was obvious we were rookies.

I thought he was joking. Honestly, I was having difficulty reading him. But if he was serious, I thought that was utterly rude.

As we stood there, teetering between offense and confusion, he told us that they have a policy: no kids after six, under six. We had Paige, so this meant no George's for us. But in everywhere I've looked, this little factoid isn't advertised.

This place has pictures of kids in the windows. They practically scream, "Bring your family here!" On travel site, Yelp, where it asks if the restaurant is good for kids, it says 'Yes.' So you would think that if they had a rule like that, somebody should say that somewhere. But it didn't end there.

As we turned to leave, my uncle made a comment about how we wouldn't want to eat at a restaurant that had a policy like that anyway. And then things really escalated.

The guy in the chef jacket was personally offended by this comment (which was a valid comment to make) and then initiated a full-blown argument with my uncle. I (and the rest of my family) thought this guy was a complete jerk. He started talking about wanting respect and not making a scene in front of his kids (all while making a scene in front of my uncle's kids).

I found him to be possibly the most arrogant, conceited person I have ever met. You see, the Food Network has visited George's Place (they left a sign in the window stating this fact), so I'm sure this guy walks around thinking he's pretty darn cool.

It's a shame, really, when you have to encounter jerks like that- especially when they own a restaurant. I had been excited to dine there and try this place that I'd heard such good things about, but I WILL NOT support a man who treats his customers in such a disrespectful way. He should have let us walk away without picking a fight. That would have been the respectful and professional choice. But he didn't, and now I'll tell everyone I know to stay away from him, his restaurant, and his overinflated ego.

Since we didn't eat there, we still had to find a place for dinner. It was late and we were hungry. So we did a little divide-and-conquer and ended up at a restaurant we'd wanted to try for a while: A Ca Mia.

Cute, right?
Everyone in our group had passed this restaurant before and been curious about it. When Nina and I approached and asked if they might be able to seat a group of eight as soon as possible, the hostess was very accommodating. We showed the rest or our group the menu, and they quickly agreed: A Ca Mia was a go.

Upon being led inside, we were shocked at the size of the restaurant. It always looked so tiny on the outside but it was actually super spacious! There were two whole rooms inside, and most of the first one was full. 

The rolls they gave us were an interesting mix of pumpernickel and white bread. 


I had never eaten a mixed roll before, and it was great! They had some oil to dip it into as well, but I preferred it with butter. (Really, everything is better with butter, isn' it?)

As an appetizer, my uncle ordered the bruschetta- a good call at a northern Italian restaurant. 



This was beautiful and delicious! There was a nice tang of vinegar, and the balsamic had seeped into the bread a little bit so that the bread was the perfect balance between crusty and soft. 

I was pleased. So far, so good. 

Most of the table ordered the Ravioli Sampler as an entree (myself included), and the waitress highly recommended it, so I figured it would be tasty. 

There was no attractive way to photograph this dish...but yummy doesn't have to be pretty!
This was so delicious. There were three flavors: cheese, mushroom, and lobster&crab. I thought all of the flavors were great. The mushroom was a subtle, earthy flavor, while the seafood was a perfect flavor for a seaside dinner. The cheese was...cheesy (nothing particularly special about it, but I appreciated a familiar flavor amidst the new ones. And the extra grated cheese our waitress offered over our pasta was a nice touch.)

Finally, we had found a place that gives portions that are actually feasible to finish in one sitting! I couldn't have been more pleased! 

Although we were feeling a little full, we asked to see the dessert menu. The Tiramisu came highly recommended, but since Mom and I were splitting it we went for the Napoleon. Our favorite Napoleon is from the French section of Epcot in Disney World, but the one on the menu here claimed to have creme brûlée between the flaky layers of pastry. 


This picture does not do it justice. That creme brûlée filling was so good. It tasted exactly like creme brûlée, only without the burnt sugar. It was light and sweet, the perfect ending to a meal of pasta. 

The Tiramisu was also fantastic. I don't like coffee, but I love a good tiramisu. This was incredibly moist (not dry as some can be) and had just the right balance of espresso. 


I could have made a meal off of this! And everyone decided that we would go there just to get the desserts! They were that good. It was such a relief to eat a meal that I enjoyed from start to finish (and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for, or take home piles of leftovers.)

Sometimes it takes a couple misses before you get a hit. That was definitely the case with us, but I'm so glad we found a new restaurant we would all go back to.

Although the evening started off a little rocky, we found ourselves a very tasty ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment