Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ocean City- The Food Continues

Yesterday's weather was not good for beach-going. The slightly lower temperatures and off-and-on rain meant that any sun-seeking was pretty much impossible.

Since we weren't in a hurry to get to the beach, everyone slept late. Or, to be more accurate, everyone except me slept late. I was up at 6 o'clock....as usual. But it was kind of nice to have the place to myself for four hours. Kind of.....

By 11, we had rustled everyone out of bed, into real clothes, and down the street to a place called General's Kitchen. (For some reason whenever I see the name I want it to say General's Chicken...not sure why that is....) Regardless, we arrived around 11:30, famished and ready to eat.

Since we were a big group, we had to wait for a table. Normally, this kind of thing would have been fine, but it was cold and raining and we had to wait in the covered area outside of the door. It wasn't that bad, but when you want to eat, everything seems so much more dramatic.

Eventually we made it inside and were able to move so that our whole group could sit in the same vicinity. (They had originally split us up, but the nice people next to us felt bad and switched seats.)

The menu presented a challenge. Being that it was technically lunch time, I pondered whether to go for breakfast food or lunch food. I mean, I love breakfast, but I didn't want to throw myself off by shunning the lunch food.

In the end, breakfast prevailed.


I went for the french toast (clearly) and I was actually impressed with the amount of toast they gave me. Although it looked daunting at first, I was able to eat most of it....and not just because I was hungry! It was really good. Now, don't get me wrong, it can't hold a candle to Paper Moon's Bananas Foster french toast, but for regular ol' diner french toast, this was great!  Sweet, not too dry, just dusted with powdered sugar, perfect when dunked in the syrup... I was happy. 

With full bellies, we piled into the cars and drove to the outlets for an afternoon of shopping. I am not a huge shopper (I have to be in a shopping mood), but eventually I buckled under the sight of the pretty clothes in Ann Taylor. I couldn't help myself. :) 

Once we got back from the outlets, we went to dinner at a place called Dead Freddies. (I have a sneaky suspicion that we have one of them in Bel Air...) I was really trying to be good, but everything on the menu was either covered in a cream sauce or crab dip (I honestly didn't even know that was possible...the crab dip part) and I didn't want a salad or a sandwich. Yes, it seems like I was being rather picky, doesn't it? I just wanted someone to say "Here, eat this. You'll like it," and put a plate of delicious food in front of me. 

But that wasn't happening. So I ordered the fish and chips.

  
Fish and chips are usually a safe bet. Again, I found myself shocked at the amount of food I received. This turned out to be a good choice. The fish was quite yummy (though everything is better fried) and although I couldn't quite figure out what kind of tartar sauce they'd given me, I happily shmeared my fish with it every now and then. After I asked for some lemon to squeeze over the fish, I was content.

In the end, I couldn't finish it all. And after my experience with the fried food at the boardwalk the day before, I wasn't going to push it. It was a relief to feel pleasantly full and not like a swollen tick.

Back at the condo we settled in early for the evening so a few of my friends could watch a favorite show of theirs. Being that I knew absolutely nothing about the show, I opted to make smores instead. They were a hit and the ones I didn't burn (oops!) were pretty authentic, considering they came from the oven.

It was a nice day. Two days down, only one more full day to go. On the culinary agenda for the rest of the trip: a crepe place and a return to Dumser's (I've prepared myself for round two thanks to a suggestion from my wise  aunt). I'm looking forward to wherever my tummy takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment