Friday, June 22, 2012

Cape May- Uncle Bill's Pancake House

It's raining as I type this post in lovely Cape May, New Jersey. I guess if it was going to rain one day this week, the last afternoon of our stay would be the best time. Although the darkening skies meant we had to leave the beach a little earlier than we would have liked (especially on our last day), we've had a wonderful week, so we can't feel too miffed about the impending storm.

This morning, however, the sky was beautiful and clear! Hungry, we set out for a favorite breakfast spot of ours: Uncle Bill's Pancake House. If you're looking for a good breakfast in Cape May, Uncle Bill's has you covered.

I think they must have 30 different kinds of pancakes and waffles to choose from, in addition to hefty omelets and an array of sides. And although many of the varieties look delicious, I stick to my standby: the Blueberry Waffle with a side of Tater Tots.

Nothing like fresh Jersey berries in the summer!

And who can resist the lure of a Tot? 
But just because I have standbys doesn't mean that everyone in my family is as consistent as me. Both Mom and Nina ordered blueberry pancakes. I didn't try any of them, and they looked lovely, but if it's between pancakes and waffles for me at Uncle Bill's, I go for waffles. 

My Aunt Susan ordered the Banana Nut pancakes. Interestingly enough, I had been eyeing these up on the menu earlier, so I was glad she let me have a bite. 


Personally, I thought these were just okay. I like banana, so maybe I would have liked it more if the bananas had been in the pancakes? I'm not sure. I think I just wanted it to be sweeter than it was. My aunt enjoyed them, but she said it was more of a Fall pancake (because of the nut). She commented that she probably should have gotten a more seasonal dish, since it's June and not October. But overall, she was happy.

My uncle, who is generally an adventurous eater, ordered the Stuffed French Toast with blueberries. (Yay for Jersey berries!!!) 


What were they stuffed with? I really couldn't tell. Nina said it looked like pudding, but I usually think of stuffed french toast being stuffed with cream cheese. When I asked my uncle, the second answer he gave me when I inquired about the filling was, in fact, cream cheese. (The first answer was pork chops...I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.) Regardless, he also enjoyed his meal and would order it again. 

All eight of us left Uncle Bill's with full, contented tummies this morning. It's fast, convenient, and delicious. It's a "must" every time we visit. In fact, we'll be dining there for our bon voyage breakfast tomorrow morning. And though I'll be sad to leave (we mustn't dwell on that now!), I can't wait for another breakfast with Uncle Bill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment