Friday, June 15, 2012

Ocean City- A Very Sweet Ending

It's officially over. After almost a week of relaxing beach-side with my friends, inhaling everything placed in front of me, and indulging in more fried food on the boardwalk than any one person should consume in a two hour time-slot, I find myself back at home. I had a wonderful time with everyone, and it went by much faster than I'd expected. But all good things must come to an end, right? Our week came to a particularly good end when we went to Bayside Skillet for our bon voyage breakfast.


When we drove into the parking lot, I was struck by the absolute pink-ness of everything. Literally everything, even the parking spots, were pink.

The inside was very quaint. Actually, when we were led to our table (past the counter where they make the fresh squeezed juices), I felt like I was walking into a sweet old-lady's tea room. The decor was very floral and classical music played in the background. And there were strawberries...everywhere! One of my friends said it was like walking into the home of beloved childhood character, Strawberry Shortcake. And she wasn't too far off.

For being commonly referred to as "the Omelette and Crepe place," I thought the menu was pretty big! I have to admit that I was torn over what to get. The omelets sounded delicious, especially since I am never satisfied with how mine turn out at home, but I am a crepe lover at heart. Once I found out that they recommend sharing the omelets, I decided to go for the crepes. It would be easier to pay that way, and I could take more time to debate the options in my head.

In the end it came down to the Apple Cinnamon crepe or the Banana Royale crepe. Ever since my banana milkshake experience, I'd been drawn to banana-filled things. (Perhaps in an attempt to rid myself of that bad memory.) The more likely reason that I ultimately opted for the banana crepe was because there's an excellent crepe place near us that does caramelized bananas in their crepes, which is divine, so I suspected I would like the Bayside Skillet version.

My jaw dropped when my plate was placed in front of me.


Heavenly, right? That's homemade whipped cream on top (which they call chantilly, just FYI) and a whole banana wrapped up in the square crepes. I knew I'd made the right choice. This. Was. Delicious. While I am used to a caramelized banana, I enjoyed the fresh flavor from the regular banana that was rolled up inside. The combination of the banana with the fluffy whipped cream was perfection. I could not have ordered anything better. I am convinced.

We ordered a side of potatoes for the table, too.


These were actually very good. Much better than the ones at General's Kitchen a few days before. The potatoes were crispy and piping hot- just the way I like them! Plus, it was a HUGE portion. It was a good choice, but they were definitely overshadowed by the Banana Royal Crepes. Oh my gosh- I am getting hungry just thinking about them! If you are in Ocean City, you need to go here and order these crepes! This was by far my favorite culinary destination of the trip, hands down. I could have eaten breakfast here every day. 

I should also mention that Bayside Skillet gives you a lot of food for your money. I think my portion of the bill was 13 dollars. Considering the size of the crepes, the amount of potatoes I was able to consume, and the fact that I didn't need to eat lunch that day, I'd say it was a good call. The staff were also very nice. The owner (or at least I think she was the owner) even came over to check on us and we actually had a decent-length conversation about my crepes. There's nothing like making a personal connection over food! 

So, with contented tummies and fond memories, we packed up into the cars and headed home. It was sad to leave everyone, to hug each other and not know whether we'd see each other in a week or in a year. As we head off to college, the reassurance we'd grown accustomed to has been pulled away. This summer there's no guarantee that we'll see each other in the fall. We can't tell what the future holds, but I'm glad that we could spend a few blissful days together before the rest of our lives begin.  

Until my next delicious destination, I wish you happy hearts and full bellies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment