Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cape May- Zoe's French Toast

Mom and I were up early today, as we usually are when we go to the beach. It's just so invigorating to feel like you are one of the first people up, greeting the sun as it begins its' slow ascent into the sky. The peacefulness of the town at dawn is one of the main reasons I hate to sleep in. I feel like I've already missed too much of the day if I'm asleep past six.

So we walked around, soaking up the morning air with a certain four legged family member we brought with us this year. :) The house we're staying at is pet friendly, so we jumped at the opportunity to take Bee along for the ride.

After our stroll, we hopped on our bikes and pedaled around the town before stopping for breakfast at one of our long-time, favorite beach-side eateries: Zoe's. Zoe's has been a family favorite at Cape May for as long as we can remember. Early on, we used to get our muffins from Zoe's every morning. They also have an full breakfast menu, boasting egg sandwiches, omelets, pancakes, french toast, etc., as well as a huge lunch menu (we will also be stopping there for lunch some time soon).

It had been a while since we'd actually sat at the white plastic tables on Zoe's patio for a sit-down meal. Usually we grab a muffin and go. But today we thought we'd make ourselves at home and stay a while.

Although Mom had originally wanted to go for the pancakes, both of us were hooked by the french toasts we saw as we perused the menu.

The Cinnamon Swirl sounded great, but the Crunchy Style was intriguing. When I asked what that was, the girl told me it's french toast, coated in corn flakes and then fried. Oh, what to choose?!? In the end, Mom went for the Cinnamon Swirl, while I went for the Crunchy Style. (Who am I kidding, it wasn't that hard of a choice.) We agreed to share.

While we were waiting to order our food, the freshly made muffins caught our eyes and we decided to order a Zucchini-nut muffin as well. Why not? We're only in Cape May for a week, right?


I enjoyed the muffin. It tasted like zucchini bread. And although it could have been a tiny bit more moist, it was definitely a muffin I would get again.

When the french toasts came out, I was blown away. They were beautiful.

Mom's
Mine

When I bit into mine, it was like eating fried bread. (Which I guess is exactly what it was.) The corn flakes were crunchy and the bread was absolutely piping hot! It was divine. I mean, seriously, this was such a good idea!! (Not sure if my heart was thinking that, but my taste-buds certainly were!)

Mom's had a lovely sweet flavor, but I preferred my crunchy one. It doesn't get much better than fried bread for breakfast.

See the crunchiness?!?

Because of the mild health concerns I had about eating three pieces of fried french toast in one sitting, as well as my stomach's rather small maximum capacity, I was only able to consume a half of the piece mom gave me, and two of the triangles of mine before I was full. But trust me, we did not let any of that go to waste! We brought it home and plan on warming it back up tomorrow! And though I'm sure it won't be as delicious out of the microwave as it was out of the fryer, I'll just have to force it. :) (note the sarcasm...)

It's already day 4. (The week sure does go by fast.) But I'm looking forward to seeing what food I eat next!

No comments:

Post a Comment